Feb 1, 2009

Flower Meanings

Flowers are a timeless gift. Not only are they beautiful and easy to come by, each flower holds a variety of meanings. Picking a flower based on its meaning gives an added measure of thoughtfulness to the gift because you took the time to find the perfect flower for the situation or recipient.

Here are a few select interpretations of this florigraphical language from the Society of American Florists:

  • Bleeding Heart: Wounded affections
  • Camellia, pink: "I'm longing for you."
  • Camellia, white: "You're adorable."
  • Camellia, red: "You're a flame in my heart."
  • Carnation, yellow: "You've disappointed me."
  • Carnation, pink: "I'll never forget you."
  • Carnation, red: "My heart aches for you."
  • Carnation, white: Sweet, lovely, innocent
  • Carnation, striped: "Sorry I can't be with you."
  • Daffodil: "You're the only one."
  • Daisies: "I'll never tell." Innocence, loyal love
  • Gardenia: "You're lovely." Secret love
  • Lilac, purple: First emotions of love
  • Lily of the Valley: "You've made my life complete."
  • Orchid: Beautiful lady
  • Pansies: "I'm thinking of you."
  • Primrose: "I can't live without you."
  • Spider Flower: "Elope with me."
  • Sweet Peas: "Good-bye." "Thank you for a lovely time." Departure
  • Violets, white: "Let's take a chance on happiness."
  • Violets, blue: "I'll be true—always."

In addition to the variety of meaning that flowers have to offer. Every Rose has its own meaning and a bouquet of roses are a perfect gift for any occasion.

  • Red roses say, "I love you" and also stand for respect and courage.
  • White roses have several meanings: "You're heavenly," reverence and humility, innocence and purity, and secrecy and silence.
  • Pink roses symbolize grace and gentility.
  • Yellow roses usually stand for joy, gladness, and freedom.
  • Together, red and yellow roses stand for jovial and happy feelings.
  • Pale-colored roses convey sociability and friendship.
  • Rosebuds symbolize beauty and youth.
  • A single rose stands for simplicity.
  • Hybrid tea roses mean, "I'll remember you always."
  • Two roses wired to form a single stem signal a forthcoming marriage.
  • A rose in full bloom placed over two buds signifies secrecy.

No comments:

Post a Comment